Thursday, February 10, 2011

2.10.11

I decided I had to make up with Jerry. We really don't say more than a couple of things to one another each day. We might get in a "good morning" or a "who's turn is it to bring more firewood in from the patio" or "I'm heading to the main lodge to explore".

It's pretty obvious I will have to initiate the apology. Jerry seems perfectly content not to talk to me.

I decided the best way to approach him was to ask him to go with me to explore the smaller Clock Tower lodge here at Boyne. As a group we had explored almost all the public areas of the main lodge. We had found a good supply of food in the primary kitchen there. We haven't explored the upper floors of the main lodge, which consist mostly of guest rooms. We may at some point, but it doesn't look like the hallways have much ambient light, so we have decided to save them for later, when we are a little braver.

Jerry came with me to the Clock Tower lodge. We also brought Johnny Dog with us. We don't have to bother leashing her any more. If she detects a walker she will bark, but has learned not to attack, leaving that to us.

Jerry had his sword and a pistol. I had two ski poles and a pistol. Figured if one pole got stuck in a zombie's skull I would have the other one for back-up.

Its about a quarter mile walk to the Clock Tower lodge from our townhouse. We made our way over, walking past our undead slalom course. It's still intact, but now we can just see hands sticking through the snow as almost 18 inches of new snow has fallen over the last couple of days.

As we reached one of the side doors to the Clock Tower lodge I asked Jerry to hold up.

"Jerry, I need to apologize to you." I started. "I shouldn't have said anything to you about the jumper cables back at the rest stop. And you are right. It was my computer screen that attracted the walkers to us back in Bowling Green. I just want you to know that everyone appreciates what you do for us. And that especially includes me."

Jerry looked at me for a few seconds. Interesting too that Johnny Dog sat and stared at the two of us as if to say "about time somebody extended an olive branch".

After a few more uncomfortable seconds, I continued. "Jerry, did you hear me?" At that point my back was turned to the side door of the lodge.

Jerry seemed distracted. He finally responded. "Yeah, yeah. It's cool. I've pretty much been a dick about the whole thing since it happened. I'm sorry too."

At that point Jerry gave me a hand signal to turn around.

"Look at that!" He said.

I turned around. Through the small, frosted up window in the side door of the lodge I could make out the outline of a face staring right at us!
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments:

Post a Comment