Tuesday, January 25, 2011

1.25.11

So much to document.

I think Jerry will leave me alone for a while. We haven't made it to Boyne. We are sitting in an abandoned camper in a rest stop North of Saginaw, Michigan. It's an unseasonably warm day, must be almost 50 degrees out, so we are fairly comfortable.

Back to the Bowling Green Starbucks situation. We had settled in for the night. We had power, but the front of the store did not have curtains. There was a pretty good sized back room that we could use. We could turn on the lights in that room and as long as the door was shut they wouldn't shine through to the front of the store.

Jen, Greg and Billy had grabbed couches in the front and had tucked themselves in for the night. Jerry was in the back room looking at his map to try to figure out our next stop on the way to Boyne. Driving had been very slow so far. In addition we needed to stop at a place where we could siphon gas.

I couldn't sleep, so I decided to open up my computer and see if I could use my 3G card and get on the Internet. I tucked myself behind the counter, thinking the glow of my computer screen wouldn't be strong enough to draw attention. Johnny Dog was laying beside me.

The 3G card worked. And I was blogging. That's when Johnny Dog began to whimper. I had completely underestimated the abilities of these walkers. I peaked my head up over the counter...damned if there weren't eight of those things making there way to the front of the store.

I shut down my computer and tried to calm Johnny Dog down. If she barked, those walkers would be on us in no time. The plate glass windows wouldn't hold them back for long.

What I didn't plan for was Jen waking up. She was lying on the couch closest to the window. The site of the walkers outside startled her...AND SHE SCREAMED!

Jerry came bounding out of the back room to see what had happened. Johnny Dog started to bark. The walkers could see us now, and began banging on the plate glass window. We were smart enough not to have unpacked everything, so we quickly gathered our stuff to leave out the back door.

Jerry armed himself with the shotgun. Greg had a pistol at the ready. As we got to the back door, Jerry peaked through the peephole to see if it was clear. Wouldn't you know, a walker was staring right back at him from the outside! It startled the shit out of Jerry!

Just then we heard the sound of the front windows breaking.

Jerry told Greg to cover us from behind. Jerry then busted open the back door, knocking the walker that was standing there to the ground. A second walker was making it's way toward us when Jerry hit it in the chest with a shotgun blast. I remember Jerry muttering to himself as the walker hit the ground, "Aim at the head, dumbass, aim at the head!" But give Jerry credit, he had at least cleared a path to the cars.

Billy was holding Johnny Dog, and could hardly contain her. Jerry jumped in the Jeep with Billy, Jen and Johnny Dog. I started to get in the Impala when shots rang out from behind.

What a sight! Greg had grabbed a second pistol and as he backed his way towards the Impala, was shooting with both hands, John Wayne style! Made me think of the final scene of True Grit as John Wayne was on his horse, blasting his way towards the Ned Pepper gang!

Greg was good! He nailed the eight zombies coming through the back door of the Starbucks and the zombie that Jerry had knocked down with the door. Head shots every time!

He got in the passenger side of the Impala, and just for good measure, lowered the window and shot the walker that Jerry had hit in the chest right through the left eye!

The escape was exhilarating! I shouldn't have been so excited, especially since the whole thing was my fault but I couldn't help it!

Greg was hyperventilating. When he finally calmed down I looked at him and said, "Jesus Greg, where did you learn to shoot like that!"

"I don't know," he responded. "it just happened, felt right..."

"Maybe it was the endless hours of playing Call of Duty in the warehouse." I thought to myself.

We didn't speak to one another for two hours as we made our way North.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments:

Post a Comment