Thursday, December 9, 2010

12.9.10

Jerry, Johnny Dog and I have spent most of our time in the break room at the games warehouse. We've been watching TV, getting updates on this situation. My first impression of Jerry was that he was an alarmist, but I guess judging by my own actions (leaving my apartment to hang out here) I must be buying in.

What have we learned so far? Well these are the "official" reports:

- There has been an outbreak of an illness that has the following symptoms: high fever, dizziness, tunnel vision, nausea.

- They are confident that the illness is caused by this year's batch of influenza immunizations. Particularly those produced by Jenter Pharmaceuticals out of Grand Rapids, Michigan. The batch has been recalled and destroyed.

- They have a treatment.

- The illness has been reported in multiple cities throughout the US.

- The authorities are asking that those who have the symptoms above report to treatment centers located throughout the area and the US.

Jerry doesn't believe a word he is hearing from official sources. He keeps asking the same questions:

-Why aren't we seeing anyone outside?

-What happened to his buddy Greg at the ER?

-Treatment centers? What is going on there?

I have to agree with him. Things aren't adding up. Interesting the lack of a sense of urgency from the reports on TV. They break-in with news every couple of hours, but they are continuing with regular programming. Live programming, like news, has some faces we haven't seen before. Live events, NBA and college basketball, tonight's NFL game have been canceled.

I want to go back to my apartment. There was plenty of food in the break room from the vending machines, but Cheese Nips, Hoho's and Ding-Dongs aren't cutting it anymore. Jerry seems satisfied though. I guess you don't weigh the north-side of 3 balloons by eating vegetables. I want to grab some of the stuff I have in my pantry.

Johnny Dog seems to like Jerry. Probably because Jerry shares his Ding-Dongs with her.

"Jerry," I asked, "go with me to my apartment. I have some stuff I want to pick up. I also want to check things out, getting a bit of cabin fever in here."

"I don't know." He responded. "I don't like the idea."

"We'll be alright, there's no one outside anyway." I said.

"Maybe. If we do, let's go later tonight. I'd feel more comfortable then."

I agreed. If all it took was waiting a couple of hours to convince Jerry to venture out, it was an easy compromise.

Just then Jerry's phone buzzed.

"A text from Greg!" he said. "He wants us to get him down at Mercy now!"

No comments:

Post a Comment