Thursday, December 23, 2010

12.23.10 Home?

I had called my Mom and Dad's house before we left. No answer. I'm actually surprised the phones still work. Most places look like they still have power too. I also called my younger brother and sister's cell phones, but didn't get an answer.

Jerry, Greg, Johnny Dog and I headed out to the house. I really didn't know what to expect. I certainly wanted everyone to be OK.

It was about a 20 minute drive to where Mom and Dad live. Once again, no one was on the roads, and they were very icy as they had not been cleared of the recent snowfall.

When we got to the house we decided to implement the "Kroger" plan. Greg backed the Jeep up the driveway. I had a leash on Johnny Dog. As we exited the car, we left the doors open for a quick getaway. This time Jerry suggested I walk around the outside of the house with Johnny Dog, just to see if she would get agitated, signaling the presence of one of those "things". I carried a 2x4, Greg had the snow shovel and Jerry had his sword.

No signal from Johnny Dog, so we went up to the front door and rang the doorbell. No answer. It was locked. I went around to the back of the house to get the key my parents kept in the fake, hollowed out plastic rock in the garden.

I unlocked the front door and we let ourselves in. I called out for Mom, Dad and Jen. No answer.

"Where are the guns?" Jerry asked.

"In the den, the door on the left." I answered. "There should be a key to the gun cabinet in the top right drawer of the desk in there."

Jerry went into the den. Greg asked if it was OK to go into the kitchen and see if there was any food. I was alright with it, as it looked like my parents and sister hadn't been around for a couple of days. I peeked into the garage, and my dad's Chevy Impala was gone. Had they gone to the hospital? Or worse yet, one of the treatment centers?

Johnny Dog and I wandered upstairs. If my family had planned to be away for a while, it sure didn't show. Drawers and closet doors were closed, no sign that they had packed bags before they left.

I was really worried. Where had they gone? I had no clue.

I went back downstairs. Jerry had collected the two shotguns and the handgun my Dad had kept in the cabinet, along with several boxes of ammunition. Greg had grabbed some of the stuff that was still good in the refrigerator.

"Guys", Jerry began, "The Survival Guide says one of the best weapons to combat Zombies are crowbars. Dan, do you know if your Dad would have any?"

"Yeah," I answered. "check the garage. My Dad keeps his tools organized. If he has one it will be hanging on the hook board above the workbench."

Jerry went into the garage. He came back with two crowbars. "Book says these are perfect for penetrating the skull of one of those things. Oh, and good for prying doors open for a quick escape!"

Just then, the front door opened. Johnny Dog barked, but it was different bark than when she confronted one of the Zombies.

"Is anyone here?" asked the person at the door. Jerry had a crowbar raised above his head.

I recognized the voice. "Billy?" I answered.

"Yes, is that you Dan?" It was my brother.

"Dan, oh man, it's great to see you!" Billy and I hugged. "I wondered if you were alright!"

Johnny Dog sniffed at Billy's shoes. "I am, it looks like you are OK too. This is Jerry and Greg. We came here to get Dad's guns, and see if everyone was alright. But nobody is here."

"When did you get the dog?" Billy asked.

"A couple of weeks ago. Do you know what happened to Mom and Dad?" I answered.

"I've been at my house at Xavier. all of my roommates had gone several days ago. Went to the hospital and the treatment centers. Dad called me four days ago and told me to stay in my house. Mom was sick, but he said not to come home. He had sent Jen to a friends house. I've been calling here and trying to contact Jen ever since." Billy explained.

Mom was sick...I caught Greg shaking his head at Jerry. I knew too.

"Billy, what friend would Jen be with?" I asked.

"I don't know. After I couldn't get a hold of anyone for the last two days, I grabbed one of my roommate's cars and drove up." Billy answered.

"We are going to have to try to find her. And Mom and Dad." I stated. I knew full well that Mom was probably dead. But it sounded like Jen might still be OK, and maybe Dad.

Billy, "Are you going to stay here?"

Jerry answered. "We have been staying at a warehouse about 20 minutes from here. It seems safe, we have food. I think it's better if we go back. I have to ask, have you seen any of the sick people wandering around?"

"Wandering around? What do you mean?" Billy answered.

I decided to write a note and leave it on the front door. It had my cell number and said that Billy was with me. I also left my blog address, in case Dad or Jen...or Mom came back. Figured if they couldn't call they could leave a comment here.

I wanted to give the address of the warehouse, but Jerry warned against it. He didn't want to be bombarded by people wanting to stay with us. Guess it's every man for himself.

Billy was still puzzled by Jerry's question. "I'll explain when we get back to the warehouse" I told him.

No comments:

Post a Comment