Sunday, December 5, 2010

12.5.10

The good news? My new job starts tomorrow. 2nd shift, 3pm to 11pm at the electronic and video game distribution center.

The bad? I wonder if anyone will be there. When I went to my interview on Friday, the person I was supposed to interview with had called in sick. However, the human resources rep went ahead and did the interview.

She seemed very preoccupied. She asked me three questions. First, what was my social security number (I had forgot to put it on the application). Second, had I ever been convicted of a felony (no). Third, could I start on Monday.

She explained that on that very Friday, 60% of the work force had called in sick, so they needed people right away as they were in the middle of the Christmas shopping season. She had also spoken to some of her human resources counterparts at some of the other companies in the region and they were experiencing the same amount of medical absenteeism.

Radio and TV reports are saying that emergency rooms are being bombarded by people coming in with high fevers. The first reports are that the current batch of flu shots might be the source of the illness.

Johnny Dog has been acting very agitated since Thursday. She is eating, and I took her on walks Friday, Saturday and today, but she is really on edge.

Then tonight, after she and I had made a car run to Starbucks to get a cup of coffee, she started barking at the apartment door across from mine. She wouldn't settle down until I drug her by her collar into my apartment, but she has been sitting staring at my door ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment