Tuesday, December 7, 2010

12.7.10 Shit's Hittin' the Fan

I'm holed up on the second floor of a warehouse surrounded by thousands of Xbox and PS3 games, consoles and a dude named Jerry. Logged this from my cell (got to like the mobile blogger app from Google).

I've been here since my shift started for my first day of work yesterday. It was strange when I arrived. The warehouse was locked. I banged on the door, waited about 5 minutes and when nobody answered I decided to head home.

I figured that this place had been hit harder than the others and when too many people called in sick, they decided to shut down for the day and forgot to call me.

As I was getting into my car something hit the back of my head. I looked on the ground and a brand new shrink-wrapped FIFA 2011 (Xbox version) was laying there.

From above a voice called out, "Hey you!"

I turned to see a pudgy face looking out of a second floor window. "What do you want?"

"Are you the new guy, s'pose to start today?" he asked.

"Yeah. Did you just hit me with that Xbox game?"

"Yes!" he responded. "Wanted to get your attention."

"You could have just opened the door when I banged on it! I'm here for work!"

"You don't know what's going on around here, do you?" he asked. "You know shit's hittin' the fan?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

" Have you had a flu shot?" (Seemed like a strange question from a pudgy dude yelling out of a second floor window.)

"No." I responded. "Why?"

"I'll come down and let you in then."

A few minutes later he came to the front door of the warehouse, unlocked the door and let me in.

"My name's Jerry, you must be Dan." he begun. "You need to know what's going on. Those flu shots, all the people getting sick...I now what's going down here."

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"Dude, I'm talkin' about tainted flu shots! People are dying! You can't tell me you aren't seeing it!?!?"

"Well, I know lots of people are getting sick, and heard reports about flu shots, but people dying? C'mon."

Jerry continued, "I've seen this in movies, books. The flu shots contain a virus, it can't be stopped! We're not getting the whole story from the authorities! I came to work this morning, and almost everyone had called in sick. They said to go home. I told them I needed to get a couple of things from upstairs and I would lock up when I left. But I decided to stay. I am not going outside again until I'm sure this thing has run it's course."

I was about to respond when Jerry handed me his phone. "Look at these texts my buddy sent me. He works at Mercy downtown."

I read the texts:

12/5/10 9:37am Can't meet 2nite, slammed in ER

12/5/10 10:30am I'm freakin out-2 many ppl here

12/5/10 1:00pm jer ovrhrd dr say ppl rnning 105 fvrs

12/5/10 1:22 wont let me lve, qrteened er due to contajes nature of illness

"Those are from my buddy, Greg, an orderly at Mercy's downtown ER. Haven't heard from him since."

I was shaken...Jerry has the radio on, gonna log for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment