Thursday, January 6, 2011

1.6.11 Johnny Dog Again!

We had a plan, and Johnny Dog was the key.

She had already figured out how to find her way back to the warehouse from four miles away. Then she had figured out how to draw three walkers away from the warehouse door. I had no idea how many walkers had surrounded the Ameristop that Jerry and Greg were stuck in, but it must have been too many for them to fend off, seeing as how they had brought guns.

I decided to do a scouting trip first. I followed Jerry's rule of three and brought Jen and Billy with me. We had a couple of hand guns. We left Johnny Dog at the warehouse as we didn't want her to start barking when we got close to the Ameristop. I needed to know what we were going to be dealing with.

We approached the Ameristop from the North, driving down route 747. We were about an eighth of a mile away and saw the problem. There must have been 50 walkers at the front of the store trying to get in. We didn't want to attract the walkers to us so we stopped the car. We had to make an assumption that the rear door of the Ameristop also had walkers surrounding it, otherwise Jerry and Greg would have escaped days ago.

We needed a second car to make this plan work. Billy's friend's car was still at my parents house, so we headed there to get it. Jen was able to pick up more clothes while we were there.

We had a plan. We would drive two cars. Billy and Jen would be in one. They would pick up Greg and Jerry as soon as Johnny Dog drew the walkers far enough away that they could escape. They would hang out about a quarter mile away.

I would be in the other car and would drive Johnny Dog close enough to the Ameristop to drop her off. I just needed her to do the same thing she had done before, start barking and running, drawing the walkers away.

We picked up Johnny Dog and went to work. Jen and Billy were in place. I drove to the parking lot entrance and opened the door for Johnny Dog. She hesitated for a moment, and didn't jump out of the car. Doh!

That was going to be the problem. As I sat there, the sound of the car's engine got the attention of the walkers, and they turned and started shuffling my way! Johnny Dog compounded the problem by starting to bark! At that point all of the walkers at the front of the Ameristop started heading to the car!

My plan was to have had the walkers follow Johnny Dog, not me in the car, but that would change. Or so I thought. I was about to close the door and drive off when Johnny Dog suddenly jumped out. As if on cue, she barked and ran, and as before the walkers started to follow. Well, most of them anyway. I shut the door and also sped off.

I drove about 400 yards and five of them followed me. I looked back at the store and could see Jerry and Greg peeking out of the front door. I pulled a u-turn and headed towards Jen and Billy's car to let them know to pick Greg and Jerry up. These walkers are slow, and are pretty dim-witted. They still followed me but still doing a slow shuffle.

As I passed Billy and Jen, they got my sign and headed to get Jerry and Greg. I headed back to the warehouse to meet them.

They got to the warehouse about the same time as me. I gotta give Jerry and Greg credit as they jumped out of the car. They had four cases of beer with them. As everyone one was safe back at the warehouse, I had to let them know they were about a week late for our New Year's Eve party. Jerry told me to fuck-off.

The plan had worked. The question now was whether Johnny Dog would return safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment